In honor of Brian's Dad. William Burke I wanted to take a minute and blog a little message for him. His Birthday is coming up and we miss him so much!!!! He passed away a couple of years ago unexpectedly. We miss having his smile and jokes around. He was such an inspiration to me and my family. He taught me what unconditional love was all about. For you that didn't know Brians father he was hit by a train when Brian was just a young child. He was handicap, but you would never know that by his spirit!!!! One of the last memories that I have with Bill was when we took a trip to California. We went to the beach and Bill had a hard time walking so Brian & My little bro Brian helped him walk across the beach. It took him quite a long time to make it in the sand. But he was in good spirits the whole time he struggled. He was like that all the time. He tried to make others feel like his problems were nothing, even though he had a hard time physically. That is what I just loved about this man! So when I think of this last memory of him, I think of the poem
"Footprints in the Sand"
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"
The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you."
Mary Stevenson
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Brian's Dad
Posted by The Burke Family at 9:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











7 comments:
Oh, your post made me remember so many memories of Uncle Bill. He truly was such a Wonderful man and we all miss him so much. I never saw him without a smile on his face and he was always the first person to say hello when walking into a room.
My last memory of him would have to be when I was living at grandmas house after she passed away. Jan and Bill came over one night to visit and he was acting out a (I think it was an Indian Ritual) for me. I was laughing so hard but amazed at the same time. He always made everyone feel welcome and loved!
Thanks for this post. I need to do more posts like this.
Very cool post. He was a such a nice guy..even though I didn't know him too well. Thanks for the Easter invite. I'm hoping that it doesn't conflict with the family egg hunt....if it doesn't...we'll be there!
Sorry I screwed up on the first post. Dad wouldn't care though. He would just laugh about it.
As Alicia and I sat and read your post a flood of memories and emotions came to mind. We both cried as we remembered him and all the great times we shared.
He was always so positive and he had a way of lifting your spirits no matter what. We both miss him so much.
Thanks for this post. It brought tears to my eyes. It brought back all my memories of Uncle Bill. I have so many because we both lived right there by grandma and grandpa. Denise is right, he was always the first to say hello when you walked in the room. I loved Uncle Bill and all the wonderful memories I have from my childhood. I'm so happy that a lot of us cousins are keeping in touch. Thank goodness for the INTERNET! Thanks for this post, it brings back so many good memories that I will never forget.
Ah, Uncle Bill. I have so many fond memories of that wonderful man. It never ceased to amaze me how he always had a smile on his face. I always loved hearing his stories. He and my dad would share their stories of growing up together and they would be laughing so hard, we couldn't help but laugh. I love those times!
Here is a popular, but one of my favorites, story. Both of our families went camping at a lake and there was a raft. You remember...right. lol Uncle Bill and my dad were in the raft in the middle of the lake and the raft sprung a leak. They tried paddling to shore before they sunk. They almost made it. I remember laughing while cheering them on as they paddled.
So many good memories! And to see so many more memories made to this day with our families. I've always seen Uncle Bill and his influance in his children...especially the boys. So kind, warm-hearted, funny, silly, loving, caring...I can go on and on. In his children, Uncle Bill still lives on!!!
All my love!
~Gina
When I think of Bill, I think of a Christ like man with a heart full of love and compassion for anyone he met. I'm glad that we were with you all on that trip to Disneyland with Brian's parents. He rode those rides and had just as much fun as the teenagers did. I was amazed. He didn't let anything stop him. We all can learn something from Bill. He was an example to all. We all miss ya Bill! Hugs! Love, Alicia L.
Post a Comment